Saturday, June 4, 2011

Thanks for remembering

June 10 approaches. Again. How has it been almost two years since that day? It used to be that when my birthday approached, I would take something of an inventory of my life, consider where I've been, and where I'm going...and with whom. Since Sekai left, certain dates trigger a variation of this inventory, but one that is more geared toward examining what I have done to honor my son and affect positive change since June 10, 2009.

In speaking to a friend a few days ago, I lamented that as this anniversary approaches, I have been thinking that two years is a long time, and all of the things that I thought I would have accomplished by now (foundation? nationwide campaign? book?) are still on my list of things to do. This friend, bless her heart, reminded me of what I have accomplished (such as completing my Ph.D., contracting in a great office in a position that also allows me to learn more about issues related specifically to health) and said that this time has been about...oh dear, how did she put it...learning and http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifgrowing in my field and expanding my knowledge of and footing in a related field, both of which I now understand fully relate to the Sekai Perspective. At least that's how I received it. (Dear friend, if I missed it, please let me know. *s*) I thanked her for lifting my spirits, and for helping me to see the bigger picture. I thanked her for remembering my ultimate goal, which was in part passed on to me by Sekai.

This morning, I called my goddaughter and her family (my family) this morning, and her mother told me how they attended a workshop "about the devaluation of people who have disabilities", specifically, a training in social role valorization. (I am somewhat embarrassed to say that this was the first that I heard of this theory, but I certainly plan to read more about it.) One of the assignments was to share about a person who experienced the need for this approach. She said that she put off doing the assignment, and put it off, until it was her time to share and when they called her name: "I didn't really mean to, but I started talking about Sekai." And she told them all about my baby, and what happened to him, and how it could have been so very different. With tears streaming down my face as I listened, I tried my best to stifle my sniffles. As she finished telling me about her telling them about my boy, an ill-timed sniffle filled the silence, and she apologized for making me sad, asked me if it was ok to have shared about him. I stumbled over my words, and finally told her that it means so much to me when people share about Sekai, especially in a way that could lead others to create positive change. "Maybe they'll take it with them", she said. Exactly. And of course I thanked her for remembering him, and what happened to him.

Then I received the following card from The Compassionate Friends:


Thank you for remembering Sekai.

No comments:

Post a Comment