Thursday, July 16, 2009

And the winner is...

I'm sitting here watching part 1 of the season finale of Fashion Show, and I have to laugh. My mother is alternately grimacing, sighing, covering her mouth...much as Sekai used to do when watching Jeopardy (his favorite game show), Top Chef (he liked competition reality shows, and liked to suggest changes to the recipes on this show), America's Next Top Model (he was 15 years old, and very teen boy, what can I say) or any number of game shows and competition reality shows. Last ANTM season, I perched at the foot of his bed as we watched the finale. Mom and I were rooting for Anneleigh, but Sekai was adamant that McKee would win. When Annaleigh flubbed her lines, my boy looked at me like the cat who had swallowed the canary. He had been smack-talking all night, and even had me text my mom to deliver his one-liners. With Anneleigh unable to get it together on screen, and Sekai flashing me the look, I had to give in. "Go ahead," I sighed. He raised up in bed, pointed his finger, and oh so loudly proclaimed, "your girl is going DOWN!" He then insisted that I text this taunt to my mom. I did. And Anneleigh did. He almost always called the winners on the reality competition shows. On game shows, however, not so much. The last time I watched Jeopardy with him, I watched him grimacing, sighing, covering his mouth...at one point, I actually thought something was wrong with him. When he replied that he was anticipating the announcement of the winner, I gently held his hand, leaned in lovingly, and responded, "Dude, they aren't sharing their money with you!" We both laughed. Just as my mom and I did when I just told her the same thing. Funny, to think of how he carried so many family characteristics.

1 comment:

  1. This is why I don't have a TV. If I had one, I'd get nothing done. I'm reality tv junkie numero uno.

    ReplyDelete