Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Chicken nuggets, with a side of sarcasm

(I drafted this a few weeks ago...)

Sekai began mastering the art of sarcasm at the age of two. He had many doctor's appointments even then, and so we were in the car quite a bit after school, and would stop at this or that drive through for (wait...for...it) chicken nuggets.
One evening, he called out from the back seat, "Wendy's!"
Aw, note to self, I need to tell your teacher to change your IFSP, that you do indeed recognize environmental print.
"Do you want to stop for chicken nuggets?"
"No."
Check rear view mirror. Note blank expression. Ponder for a moment.
"Wait...are you being sarcastic?"
Note the *smile*.
Aw, note to self, you have mastered sarcasm, and I need to mention this to your teacher as an indication of your fabulous intellect, and your language ability. I should also remind her that language is not the same as speech.
So needless to say, we stopped for chicken nuggets. When I recounted the story to a friend, he responded without missing a beat, "and I wonder where he got that from?" I actually stopped and thought about it, trying to craft an answer, then it hit me. 1) We are not the only sarcastic people.
2) My son is indeed mine, and so much like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment